Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Student Teaching

I guess since I have been teaching for a year, I look at things a little different than most MTC first years. Most of the things that we discuss or go over, I have already experienced. However, I have found the student teaching experience amazing.

I never had the opportunity to really watch someone else teach in my subject area for any length of time. I had to rely on my knowledge and the little help I got from my mentor. I did well, but I was always wondered what other teachers did to make language arts fun and interactive. Now I know!! My regular classroom teacher, Ms. Barnes, is amazing. She has given me numerous ideas and resources which I will definitely use next year. It is so amazing to see her take a worksheet and make it interactive.

Having a good teacher to watch makes a huge difference in what you can do in the classroom. Sitting down in the classroom with someone teaching you how to teach isn't as effective as experiencing what someone else is doing. As they say "All good teachers steal."

I have learned so much this summer by observing another teacher. It is definitely one of the things that I will treasure from this program.

No comments: