Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Reluctant Disciplinarian

The Reluctant Disciplinarian is an easy read and a good resource for teachers.

It was good to hear another teacher's mishaps and discouragement during their first year. It reaffirmed some of the things that I saw during my first year.

#1 Professional Development is worthless. I have not been to one yet (and I have been to many) that was worth the time it took to think it up. I went to one where all they told us was how to use the textbook. It was March. I'd been using the textbook for almost a year. Anyway, how hard is it to read?

#2 Most classroom management techniques are learned not taught. I went to the Mark McLeod workshop on classroom management. His ideas were great until I tried them. Some worked and some didn't. Mostly, I learned to adapt whatever I got from other teachers and make it my own. The best classroom management is learned from the mistakes that you make.

#3 You have to like your students. As I stated in my earlier blog. It wasn't until I learned to like my students that I began to like my year. Disliking the students only makes it harder to go to work and it's hard enough as it is.

#4 Threats do not work. Kids are smart. They soon learn that you either won't make good on them or you can't make good on them all the time. At this point, the tables will turn on you.

#5 More often than not when you send kids to the office there will be no result. Administrators are busy and the last thing they want to see is the students. (Yeah, I know they are supposed to be there for the students, but then why would they need you.) More often than not, they will ask you to deal with it. Pick your battles. Do everything you can in the classroom. You will need the administrators for major infractions and they are much more receptive if you aren't sending kids to them every day.

#6 The teacher look that older teachers talk about works. I mean it really works. But you have to master it. You have to practice and practice.

#7 Lastly, DO NOT TEACH SUMMER SCHOOL. Been there done that. The money looks good, but when August hits and the school year begins, you will wish for that time you spent working. Teachers get the summer off for 2 reasons: they deserve it and most of all they need it.

1 comment:

Monroe said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! Awesome.