Saturday, July 16, 2005

Why are we here?

At the town hall meeting on Friday, I was very disappointed to hear my cohorts speak of how they are here to reform education in Mississippi.
As a product of the Mississippi educational system, I know firsthand how far we need to go, but I have never been under the impression that I can single-handedly change the state, nor did I apply for this program under the assumption that the purpose of Mississippi Teacher Corps was to do so. I did however believe that the children that I while teach over the next several years will together reform the state's system by giving back to it.
This is not a service project for me. I don't plan to give to the community for 2 years and then go home feeling better about myself because I have contributed to some cause. I have decided to make teaching my career. I'm dedicated to doing my small part in educating the children of Mississippi and opening doors for them.
While listening to the animated discussion at the town hall meeting, I became sincerely disgusted. As I raised my hand to make my statement, I thought about the probable fury that would be unleashed at the comment. Yet, I said it anyway and I mean it.
Change is effected through future generations. To make a difference in the life of one child while cause that child to make a difference in another. By definition (and this is a non math person speaking) this means the number will exponentially increase each time. Each one teach one.
After my statement, I listened to the continued argument and became more and more disheartened. I felt the need to impress upon the class of 2005, that our job is to educate and thereby cause a natural reform. But how do I do this.
I wrestled with these thoughts all day Saturday. Sitting down at dinner, I looked at those people who had started the discussion the day before and became disheartened again. And then Governor William Winters began to speak.
He spoke of Shantwanna Buchanan and Walter Massey. Both of whom had said that they attributed their accomplishments to a teacher. At that moment, I knew I was not wrong. I had been right all along. My job is to be a teacher, not reform education in Mississippi.
Thank you Governor Winters for putting me at ease and for helping me to understand that I am in the right place, doing the right thing.

2 comments:

Ben Guest said...

One of the interesting things about MTC is that it means different things to different people. What is most important is what MTC means to you...

No ONe said...

I am glad there are others who want to build reform one step at a time rather than petitioning on high for a staircase from heaven. Even if they would get their staircase, ours would last longer because it is inherent not imposed.