Sunday, July 24, 2005

Reflections on Summer 1

As the first summer session comes to a close, I look back with relic, dismay and honor. I arrived at Ole Miss a bit nervous and a lot excited. I had no idea where this program or the summer would lead. I knew no one here, but the infamous BEN whom I had talked to on numerous occasions via telphone or Internet. I still remember that first morning trekking uphill to class (Yes, I walked at one time), stopping at the police station for a decal (only to realize I couldn't get one without an ID), and meeting the first person from MTC-Adryon. Walking into the building, I met Ben in person and wondered who was that little short girl (later to be known as Ginny). We entered the classroom and I looked around at the people who would soon become peers, collegues and friends.
As I look back now, I had no clue as to how this group of people would change my thoughts and actions in only 2 months time. I made friends and learned about different cultures and states. I even learned more about my own state Mississippi. I gained valuable experiences in the classroom and new ideas for activities with my students. I networked with people who may sometime in the future be great resources for me. I debated, hated and learned to respect people in the program whose views were very different from mine.
Most of all, I learned so much about myself. I realized that I was so extremely proud of my educational heritage that I would defend it at all costs. I concluded that being a statistic means defending and fending for those who I know can achieve even with their circumstances. I became exceedingly proud of my parents who had the forethought to give me every experience possible. I even relearned the value of friendship.
So at the end of this first summer of MS Teacher Corps, I reflect on what I will miss most. Houng telling us that we woke her up by being loud. Tiffany jumping up on Ginnys bed saying "What's up, girls". Reggie asking 4 million questions, all beginning with "So I know this doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about but ..." Meredith teaching self-defense. Ben's announcements everyday. Ginny responding to Keila's story with "And that's what's up". Amy staying up till 3 in the morning working on lesson plans. And Miss Monroe giving out candy.

No comments: