Wednesday, March 01, 2006

False Pretenses

When I decided to enter this program, I was so excited by the difference that I felt it would make in my state. This was a place where I had a vested interest in the future of the program. I mean my own child is going to school in this place. During the first summer, I learned so much valuable information that was useful to me in the classroom and I really thank Ms. Monroe and Ms. Barnes for that. I looked at the schedule of classes that were upcoming and prepared myself for what I knew was coming. Apparently, I was wrong. Suddenly, this class has been thrust into change that is unfamiliar and unfair. We have waited patiently to be the second years and enjoy the perks associated with such. We've looked forward to the summer for a break from the monotony of teaching and a return to something that is closer to normalcy-classwork. But we find ourselves already burnt out, tired and overworked now looking toward an extended school year. Mississippi Teacher Corps has presented us with false pretense. No matter how hard I try, I cannot find one good solid reason as to how this can be any better than the process we went through last year. There is still no guarantee that the first years will be put with a good veteran teacher because who is to say that we are all that good and even if I was good in March, I won't be that good in June because I won't want to be there. Simply put, this will be a disaster.
I must say that I am becoming more and more disappointed with this program. Through everything we've been through nothing has been quite the way we expected and most often not what they expected either. With this program, so very little can be believed that you go in every semester wondering what will happen next. I have learned one very valuable lesson from this experience. With Teacher Corps, don't believe anything.

No comments: