Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Classroom Reward That Really Works

At the beginning of the year, honestly because I didn't know what else to put on it. I put up a Classroom Stars bulletin board. It was decorated in royal blue background with gold stars and left blank. At the mid-term, several students began asking whose name would go up on the board. I had actually forgotten about it. That afternoon after school, I made certificates for hardest worker, most helpful, most creative, most improved, best handwriting, etc. I inserted names and stapled them to the board. The next day, the kids went crazy. Those whose names were on the board were bragging and the others were whining. I told them that I would change it every 41/2 weeks so that everyone would get a fair chance and noone could win twice. This prompted the students to really strive for their name to be on the board. They made a big deal about me changing it and giving out the certificates from that term. It has really created a competition of good behavior and action in the classroom.

No comments: